Tuesday, April 30, 2013


From time to time, I still miss my long dead dogs. All so wonderfully different, and each in their own way chewed their indelible graffito into the tender bark of my heart.

For cuddling, none quite outshone Czar. Drafty, cold evenings in front of warming fires, wrapped around his bulky form, snoozing, with my nose buried in the coarse, curly mane of his nape, my fingers left to feel the beat of his heart. He was the hugger and snuggler extraordinaire, sidling up unexpectedly, pushing his shoulder into my hip, or cleaving his form betwixt any embrace. Wanting, welcoming of affection, he was genuinely appreciative of closeness, and sweet to the core. Any warmth lavished on him radiated back in multiples with generosity.

Despite his size, no space was too tiny to wedge himself into, as long as it would allow him to be near his favorite people. A tired arm, dangled loosely from the sofa was welcomed with a soft, approving groan.

Kid, you left an awfully large hole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment